Thursday, July 11, 2013

Adjusting

I knew that the adjustment from part-time working Mom to Stay-At-Home Mom would be just that..an adjustment but I don't think I fully grasped what it would be like.  Don't get me wrong, I am very happy with my decision.  I am just in an adjustment period that I don't think my brain was fully prepared for.

I think it has a lot to do with the fact that I finished working and jumped right into baby shower and 1st birthday party planning. We added in summer colds for everyone in our house and I found myself feeling busier then when I was working.  Now that the baby shower and birthday party are over, I am now finally starting to get this being at home thing.

I need to know...how do other Moms do it?  Yesterday neither of my darling children napped/rested resulting in lots of bickering and an early bedtime so the Husband and I could eat dinner in peace and quiet. I know I am not the first Mother to put her children to bed early so she can eat in peace.

Part of my struggle with the adjustment is trying to figure out how to get things done and keep the children occupied and out of trouble.  You know...eat, go to the bathroom, throw in a load of laundry, hold a telephone conversation {who am I kidding...no one calls anymore} send a text message or even fumble through the fridge/freezer to figure out what is for dinner.  I stress about H.B.Nanna watching too much tv and making sure the Boy gets the attention that he deserves.  It sucks when the day is over and I realize that my house is a disaster, the kids are bored and I am stressed.

All this while my husband works from home in our office/bedroom. He has been really good about this change. He helps with breakfast in the morning and will sit with the Boy if I want to use the bathroom alone. I am really trying to minimize my requests and keep the noise level to a minimum but some days are harder than others.

Sometimes I feel like I am expecting too much of myself.  I want my house to be on the cleaner side {though I can't vacuum during naps or a teleconference for the Husband}, I don't want to have to sort through the basket of clean clothes that need to be folded and I don't want my children to be stuck in doors all day {although the rain seems to be doing a good job with that!}.  And I don't want people to think that I don't do anything all day.  I think that is the hardest part so far.

I know it is summer and I know that this adjustment is going to take some time but most everyone that knows me will tell you that I sometimes need to practice my patience and not stress out over everything. It's so much easier said then done.

2 comments:

Erin Bassett said...

Don't be too hard on yourself, you're going to have to try a lot of different things out before you find your groove. Having a schedule helps as does getting the kids involved in something they can do themselves before you try to throw a load in or vacuum. There are a ton of great preschool sites that will give you good age appropriate activity ideas. Don't forget to ditch the housework & fully have fun with the kids too...that can even be a reward for when they stay occupied while you do something & will give you all something to look forward to. Good luck! You can do it!!

Kelli said...

Thanks Erin! I am sure I will figure it out sooner or later :)