Monday, December 17, 2012

A tooth, a helmet and a 1st Christmas


Where do I begin...

First the exciting news! Baby Boy got his 1st tooth!!  Tuesday morning we discovered it.  Stephen says he found it first {so that means he buys the 1st real pair of shoes, right?!} but didn't tell me and let me "find" it first.  So kind of him ;)

Baby Boy went for his 4 month check-up at the beginning of November.  We expressed concern about some asymmetrical differences in his facial features.  The Pediatrician listened to our concerns and added that there was some flat spots on his head that caught her eye.  She put him on his belly and he flopped. He didn't bring his arms up in an attempt to hold himself up.  We also discussed how he predominantly turns his head to the right and it is sometimes difficult to get him to turn left.  We left there with a diagnosis of torticollis and scripts to start physical therapy and to see the neurosurgeon at the children's hospital.

We left in disbelief.  The next day we started PT.  The therapist recommended a corrective helmet and occupational therapy. The following week we went to see the neurosurgeon {and I woke up with a stomach bug}. The neurosurgeon didn't feel that a corrective helmet was needed right away; he sent us home with instructionsforf positional changes. The doctor was also concerned about his head size as it was a little larger then it should have been.

For four weeks we did PT and OT every week.  Progress was being made.  Baby Boy was moving his arms up when he was on his belly.  He was reaching for toys with his right hand.  He even started sitting on his own.  No rolling over yet but that will come with time.

Then we went for our follow-up with the neurosurgeon.  He said the flatness wasn't any better but it also wasn't any worse so he prescribed a corrective helmet. Head size was also still a concern as it had grown significantly since the last visit.  We went for a brain ultrasound before leaving the hospital.

Then next day we waited for the ultrasound results and Baby Boy was fitted for his helmet.  He is going to be the proud owner of a shiny white helmet 23 hours a day for 3 to 4 months. And it all begins the day after Christmas. 

The ultrasound results were good which is a relief.  So Baby Boy just has a big head because he has a big head. No reason has been identified. I think I am still wrapping my head around the helmet.  Of course everyone has opinions on how it will be.  Some say he'll be fine and won't know it is there others say it will be an awful 3 to 4 months.  We've been told to be prepared for people to stare and for rude comments.  I think that is what upsets me the most - staring and comments. 

As I am dealing with this I can't help but think about those innocent babies in CT. I am worried about people staring at a helmet and these parents are burying their babies. My heart is broken and all I can do is hug my children a little tighter and make sure they know how much I love them.

We are gearing up for Christmas around here. Last minute shopping, present wrapping and preparing to host 20 for Christmas dinner. I love it and wouldn't have it anyother way!

1 comment:

Sarah Steen said...

Kelli, all will be okay. Marlo had to have a seizure helmet and had to wear it at school. I found a lot of cute helmet covers that make the helmet look like a cute hat. Let ne know if you need help finding these sights, I have some favorites that won't break the bank. Love u guys bunches and if u ever need to talk just call me.