Sunday, September 11, 2011

9/11 - 10 Years Later

I remember where I was. 

I was in the car driving to a job I hated. A restaurant that I didn't feel welcomed in.  My bosses at the time were supposed to be in NYC that morning for a meeting with their financial planner but it got canceled at the last minute.

When I got to work, the events of that morning were all people could talk about. I only knew what was going on because of the customers.  My boss didn't want us talking about it.

My Mom called the restaurant and told me to go to the bank and withdraw money from my checking account because they were going to close down banks. My boss told me I couldn't leave but I went anyway. { I quit that job later that week}

That night when I got home from work, I found out that a classmate from high school died in the Wold Trade Center.  Nick worked on the 89th floor of Tower 2. Knowing this individual and his family, my best guess is that he died trying to save others.  Maybe in a stairwell, carrying another colleague to safety.  No one will ever know.  His body was never recovered.

God Bless Nicky B

I like many others, will never forget this day.  I struggle with how I will explain it to my daughter as she gets older. Why Mommy sits on the couch and cries as she listens to names being read. I am sure that I will come up with an explanation but I don't know that she will truly ever understand the hurt and anger that Americans felt that day.  I hope that she never ever has to experience anything like this in her lifetime.

No comments: