Thursday, July 28, 2011

Toddler Talk Thursday

Today's Toddler Talk Thursday topic is Keeping Toddlers Occupied While Waiting

I think this is funny because most people will say that they hand over their phone {iPhone or Droid} so their child can play games.  I am guilty of it though I try to keep it as a last resort. My Mom always says that she was able to keep my sister and I occupied without a phone.  I try to think of that when I am in a situation where I just want to hand H.B. Nanna over the phone and be done with it.

My purse always has some random crayons in it that really come in handy.  I have one of those fancy crayon holders but it always seems to make its way out of my purse {ahem...H.B. Nanna}.

I have gotten in the habit of packing a bag with books and baby dolls {or whatever the favorite toy of the moment is} when I know we are going in the car and could potentially be somewhere we might need them. 

Don't get me wrong...I am not always this organized and there are plenty of times I don't have anything and a melt down will occur. Most times I can find something to occupy her whether it be holding a box of noodles at the grocery store or a germy book at the doctors office.

H.B. Nanna has become quite familliar with the term "we have to wait our turn" and she {for the most part} is pretty good about it.

Of course there is always the handy dandy snack and juice. Any excuse to get a pretzel while we are at the mall, right?!

6 comments:

Caren with a "C" said...

Sorry to tell you it doesn't end after those toddler years. We are currently on a road trip with my 4 children ages 4 to 12...Now they can say "I'm bored" and they somehow think you are there to entertain them.
I do miss though having the diaper bag handy on those daily errands where I always had a toy.

Adelina Priddis said...

haha, I was just commenting on someone else's about how common the iphone is becoming to entertain our kids. We use it too. Good for you to try and find other things though.

mommy2luke2008 said...

I am working on teaching Luke what "wait your turn" means. He understands it and will do it at daycare but he thinks I should just plow my car/cart or whatever I have through a crowd and "move it" as he says. So I try to explain to him about waiting our turn or even explain to him about waiting for the stop light to turn green.

I don't have an Iphone but Luke does like my cell phone. He will play with it but I try not to let him either.

Kelli said...

@Caren - thanks for the warning!
@Adelina - I try to find other things but sometimes I get frustrated and give in!
@mommy2luke - Move it Mom! :) I often hear that "green means go Mom" if I don't move fast enough for her liking!

Shanan, The Book Addict said...

I agree that sometimes giving her something that makes her feel involved with the activity (like holding noodles at the grocery store) makes all the difference in the world.

Shanan (new follower)
http://yogi-mommy.blogspot.com/

Sippy Cup Mom said...

I really like the idea of having a busy bag that stays in the car!