Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Fight for Preemies

As I sat and watched Hanna “help” her Daddy fold her laundry tonight, I couldn’t help but think how far we had come. She is such an active little girl and for those who are just meeting her, they don’t know she was a preemie unless we tell them.

It came as surprise when I was told I needed to be induced. Luckily my labor progressed very quickly and Hanna was born just over 6 hours after I arrived at the hospital. The hardest part for me was when they took her to the ICN and I hadn’t really had a chance to hold her. I was told to rest and that I could see her later {after all she was only going to be in there for a few hours…} and by midnight I was getting really anxious. I had a wonderful nurse who allowed me to walk {!!} to the ICN to see my beautiful daughter.

What started out as a few hour ICN stay turned into 11 days. We were fortunate to have a fairly uneventful ICN experience when Hanna was born. Those 11 days felt more like an eternity {and for anyone that has had a child in the ICN you know what I mean}.

Hanna was sent home on a heart monitor that she needed to wear for 3 months. At the end of those 3 months she was discharged from the high risk doctor and I’d like to say that it has been fairly smooth sailing since. Yes, she has had her fair share of viral infections and even a bout of pneumonia but that has nothing to do with the fact that she was a preemie.

Not every family has an easy ICN experience like we were fortunate enough to have. One in eight babies is born to soon. Premature birth is the #1 cause of death during the first month of life. These babies need people to fight for them because they shouldn’t have to. To learn more about how you can help, please visit the March of Dimes.

No comments: