Thursday, March 11, 2010

Baby Weight

I always thought that when I got pregnant I was going to eat healthy and that I wasn’t going to be a large pregnant woman. Well, my body clearly had other plans.

I started showing much sooner then I expected. I tried my darndest to cover it up. I wanted to get as close to the end of my first trimester before we really went public with the information. And we did fairly well with this. Except for one warm day in June when a family friend asked me if I was having twins. I was both shocked and appalled. And the sad thing was, I hadn’t had my first ultrasound or even heard the baby’s heartbeat yet.

Shortly after this I was cornered one day. It had become apparent to some ladies at work that I seemed to be getting a little chubbier. They asked me when I was due. My response…..full out sobbing. I cried because I didn’t want them to know yet.

I know I know….I was hormonal!

All in all I gained 50 pounds when I was pregnant with Hanna. I believe that a lot of it had to do with the pre-eclampsia but I am not a doctor. I had heard horror stories of trying to lose that baby weight but I always thought I could do it.

I don’t exercise. I have never enjoyed it. I don’t like to run. I stopped riding my bike when I was 10 because my parents made me wear a helmet.

So how was I going to lose this weight? I walked Hanna in the stroller. Not as much as I could have but I digress. And I tried to eat healthy. It was really paying off. Then one day someone told me that if I didn’t lose all of the baby weight by the time Hanna turned 1, I was never going to lose it.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!

I was 5 pounds from my pre-pregnancy weight and Hanna was 10 months old. I stressed about this for a few days but then I realized that this was crazy. I had lost 45 pounds! I was telling a friend about this one day and she reminded me that it took 9 months to gain the weight and that I couldn’t expect to lose it overnight.

Now I fluctuate between 1 and 5 pounds from my pre-pregnancy weight. I have no expectations of ever getting back to my exact “starting” weight but I am proud of the fact that I have gotten as far as I have.

When I see Facebook friends comment on how they still have X pounds amount of baby weight to lose I tell them the same thing that my friend told me. After all, there is no better reason for the weight gain then a beautiful baby.

1 comment:

Megan said...

Wow - I think losing that much in only 10 months is a huge accomplishment, well done!